I’m really excited to interview David Pere of From Military to Millionaire about Kailua, Hawaii. David has been stationed there for several years and knows all of the best things to do in Kailua. He’ll show us where to watch the sunrise, where Jurassic Park was filmed, and why you need to try loco moco.
Kailua is a tight-knit community with a laid back vibe. It offers uncrowded beaches that are perfectly situated to catch the rising sun. It’s close to Honolulu, but without the throngs of tourists getting in your way as you cruise through town. Many celebrities come to Kailua to vacation because they can enjoy the town and be treated like anyone else.
We share a lot of resources and local suggestions in today’s podcast, but you should also check out the Kailua Chamber of Commerce. They are a wealth of information and can help you plan an itinerary based on your time, budget, and interests.
Best things to do in Kailua
- Aloha Stadium Swap Meet (reviews) – Fun place to shop and grab great deals on Hawaiian souvenirs
- Kailua Beach (reviews) – Great beach to relax at!
- Kualoa Ranch & Zipline – This is where Jurassic Park was filmed. You can also tour movie scenes!
- Lanikai Beach (reviews) – Another great beach to relax at
- Lanikai Pillbox (reviews) – Hike up to the pillboxes to watch the sunrise
- Maunawili Falls (reviews) – 30 minute hike where you can jump 40 feet into the water
- North Shore – This is a great place for tourism and surfing! There are huge waves here!
Best places to eat in Kailua
- Cinnamon’s (reviews) – Cinnamons (Loco Moco) is the place for Breakfast
- Grace In Growlers (reviews) – Pay for your beer by the ounce. Family friendly spot where you bring your own food and board games for a fun afternoon.
- Haleiwa Joe’s Haiku Gardens (reviews) – Try the Prime Rib for dinner.
- Island Snow (reviews) – Grab a shaved ice treat. The Kailua Chamber of Commerce website has a picture of President Obama eating one of their shaved ices.
- Kono’s Kailua (reviews) – Luau-style BBQ pork that is very moist and delicious
- Maui Brewing Co. (reviews) – Great local craft brews
- Teddy’s Bigger Burgers (reviews) – Grab any Hawaiian burger for lunch!
Best places to stay in Kailua
- Hale Koa Hotel (reviews) – This place is great for Military
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort (reviews) – Located right on the beach. Gorgeous views from a lot of the rooms.
- Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort & Spa (reviews) – This is also located right on the beach with gorgeous views.
- Marriott’s Ko Olina Beach Club (reviews)
- Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa (reviews) – Very nice place to stay. The views are amazing!
- Ramada Plaza Waikiki (reviews)
Getting around Kailua
The local airport is Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), which is about 20 miles from Kailua. The airport is on the south side of the island, while Kailua is on the west coast.
However, if you want to explore the island’s attractions like North Shore, the Jurassic Park shoot location, and the Dole Plantation, you definitely need a car. Click here for the best offers from Avis, Budget, or Hertz.
If you only need a car for a couple of hours, you can rent by the hour with Zipcar. Join now to get $25 loaded into your account.
Places we talked about on the podcast
Here is a map of all of the places we talked about on the podcast episode with David Pere about Kailua, Hawaii. You can zoom into the map and click on each dot to explore the city.
- Red dots = best places to eat in Kailua, Hawaii
- Green dots = best things to do in Kailua, Hawaii
- Yellow dots = best places to stay in Kailua, Hawaii
Who is David Pere?
David Pere is an active duty Marine stationed in Kailua, Hawaii. He began investing in real estate on an enlisted soldier’s salary and has purchased over $3 million in rental properties in three years.
He wanted to teach others that it is possible for them to do as well. David started From Military to Millionaire to discuss how real estate and personal finance can build your net worth. He highlights strategies, interviews experts, and shows the highs and lows of his personal experiences. Although David is in the military, his articles, podcast episodes, and 3x weekly YouTube videos are for anyone who wants to learn how to invest in real estate.
Here are a few articles that he’s written:
- What does a property manager do?
- House Hacking – the ultimate guide to living for free
- Can You Avoid Being Your Kids’ Bank ATM?
David is also offering listeners a free digital copy of his book First Term Wealth.
Big thanks to today’s affiliate partner – CLEAR
Don’t you just hate waiting in line for security at the airport? Me too! Even the PreCheck lines are slammed most of the time.
That’s why I use CLEAR to skip the lines and get to my flight quicker.
For my listeners, I’ve worked out a special deal where you can try CLEAR free for 2 months. This is a limited time offer, so go to WeTravelThere.com/clear to sign up today.
Stay tuned for our next episode
Listen to the next episode when Corinne Vail of Reflections En Route takes us to Kamakura, Japan to visit historic temples, enjoy the cherry blossoms, and catch some waves. We hope you’ll join us when We Travel There.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”You have to listen to the @WeTravelThere #podcast! So many great tips from local experts about the best things to do, eat, drink, and see in cities from around the world.” quote=”Tweet the podcast to your friends!” theme=”style3″].