It’s an honor to interview Stefan Lako of the Is This It? podcast. He’s the director of a charity that does anti-trafficking work in Liberia. There are many unique experiences for you to discover. Stefan will share the best things to do in Monrovia, such as visiting Sapo National Park, searching for pygmy hippos, or crossing a monkey bridge.
Please take a moment to subscribe to our podcast. It is available on all of the major podcast channels, such as Apple Podcasts, Google, Spotify, Sti
Liberia is on the west coast of Africa and Monrovia is its capital city. With 29% of the country’s 4 million population, it is the most populous city.
In 1822, Liberia became the second permanent Black American settlement in Africa. The city of Monrovia was named after U.S. President James Monroe, who was a vocal supporter of the colony.
We share a lot of resources and local suggestions in today’s podcast, but you should also check out Visit Liberia, the country’s tourism website. They are a wealth of information and can help you plan an itinerary based on your time, budget, and interests.
Best things to do in Monrovia
- Ducor Hotel – This hotel was built by Pan Am Airlines and is a former 5-star luxury hotel. It is now decayed and in ruins but is an experience to behold.
- Sapo National Park – This is the country’s only national park. It is also Liberia’s largest protected rainforest. This park contains the largest population of pygmy hippos in the country.
- Waterside Market – This shopping bazaar offers a little bit of everything and the chaos can be a bit overwhelming to tourists during their first visit. But the deals and local crafts are worth the experience. Definitely haggle with a smile when shopping here, you won’t offend anyone.
- East Nimba Nature Reserve – Was established in 2003 in coordination with Côte d’Ivoire and Guinea. The primary conservation objective is to preserve Mount Nimba’s unique biodiversity.
Best places to eat in Monrovia
- Evelyn’s Restaurant (reviews) – They offer up-market local Liberian dishes. Make sure to order the palm butter and rice.
- Golden beach restaurant (reviews) – Great service and fresh seafood. What more can you ask for? Stefan recommends the fish tacos.
- Lila Brown (reviews) – An elegant duplex bar that is set in a colonial home.
- Tides Beach Bar and Restaurant (reviews) – Enjoy great views of the ocean while eating delicious local food. It offers some of the best views of the beach and stars at night.
- Tropicana Beach (reviews) – Stefan always orders the barracuda. Eat it before it eats you!
Best places to stay in Monrovia
Here are the best places to stay in Monrovia.
- Embassy Suites Hotel (reviews) – Although this hotel shares the name with the Hilton brand, it is NOT part of that hotel chain. It looks like a nice place to stay, but do not expect to use Hilton points to stay here.
- Libassa Ecolodge (reviews) – A great hotel for families.
- Mamba Point Hotel (reviews) – A hotel with style and complimentary breakfast and wifi.
- The Cape Hotel (reviews) – Is perched above Mamba Point and offers superb views of the beach. It is the highest rated hotel in the city.
- The Royal Grand Hotel suite (reviews) – Nicely appointed rooms that would expect from US or International hotels. This hotel has three dining options. The food and desserts at the Cafe Royal are absolutely decadent.
Places we talked about on the podcast
Here is a map of all of the places we talked about on the podcast episode with Stefan Lako about Monrovia, Liberia. You can zoom into the map and click on each dot to explore the city.
- Red dots = best places to eat in Monrovia, Liberia
- Green dots = best things to do in Monrovia, Liberia
- Yellow dots = best places to stay in Monrovia, Liberia
Who is Stefan Lako?
Stefan Lako is the podcast host for Is This It? and The RotoViz College Football Show. He also dedicates his time as the director of Orphan Relief and Rescue, a non-profit focused on eliminating human trafficking in Liberia.
Here are a couple of his podcast episodes:
- Creating Beauty, Burning Bridges, and Baking Bread
- Evolving as an Artist and Taking the Plunge
- It Comes Down To This! – The RotoViz College Football Show
You can connect with Stefan Lako at his website and on Twitter or Instagram. And you can subscribe to his Is This It? podcast on Apple Podcasts or Stitcher.
Big thanks to today’s podcast sponsor – ZipCar
I avoid renting cars as much as possible when I travel, but sometimes you just need a car for a few hours. That’s where ZipCar comes in. You can rent their cars by the hour, or by the day… and both gas and insurance are included in one flat rate.
Use our link to join at WeTravelThere.com/zipcar to start out with $25 worth of credits in your bank.
Stay tuned for our next episode
Listen to the next episode when Sean Sechrist of The Unbeaten Path podcast shares why the sunsets in Erie, Pennsylvania, were once picked by National Geographic as one of the best in the world. We hope you’ll join us when We Travel There.
What’s your favorite part of Monrovia, Liberia? Let us know in the comment section below or continue the discussion in our Facebook group!
Please take a moment to subscribe to the podcast via Apple Podcasts or Stitcher so you don’t miss the next episode! While you’re at it, give us a rating and Tweet the podcast to your friends.
To see which cities we’ve interviewed and scheduled, please visit WeTravelThere.com/map. If you’d like to be a guest on the show, please submit an application at WeTravelThere.com/guest.
To learn more about visiting Africa, listen to our other episodes: