I’m really excited to interview Linda King of The Smart Travelista about Sydney, Australia. Linda’s tips for the best things to do in Sydney are awesome because she was born and raised in the city, so it has a special place in her heart. Although she now lives in Melbourne, she visits family and friends in Sydney as often as she can.
We share a lot of resources and local suggestions in today’s podcast, but you should also check out Sydney, Australia, the local visitor’s bureau. They are a wealth of information and can help you plan an itinerary based on your time, budget, and interests.
If you’d like to learn how to travel for free using airline miles and hotel points, check out my free 7-day email course.
Getting around Sydney
Linda says that there’s no need to rent a car because the public transportation is excellent. Sydney offers trains, light rail, buses, and ferries for travelers to get around. Plus, it’s a very walkable city. When we visited, we only rented a car to explore areas outside of the city core. For the best offers, visit Avis, Budget, or Hertz. Just remember, if you do rent a car, you’ll be driving on the “wrong” (aka left) side of the road.
Places we talked about on the podcast
Here is a map of all of the places we talked about on the podcast episode with Linda King about Sydney, Australia. You can zoom into the map and click on each dot to explore the city.
- Red dots = best places to eat in Sydney, Australia
- Green dots = best things to do in Sydney, Australia
- Yellow dots = best places to stay in Sydney, Australia
Who is Linda King?
Linda King is an author, travel writer, blogger, speaker, and founder of The Smart Travelista. Previously, she was a travel agent and banker. She works in leadership, has an MBA, and has studied travel writing and creative non-fiction. The Smart Travelista brand was created from her love of travel and saving money.
Here are a few articles that she’s written and podcast episodes that she has been featured in:
- 5 reasons you should consider Florence as your next travel destination
- Podcast episodes featuring Linda King
- How to travel more, even if you don’t think you can afford it with Linda King
Big thanks to today’s affiliate partner – Acorns
With Acorns, you can invest spare change automatically on every purchase that you make. With your registered cards, purchases are rounded up to the next dollar and added to your investment account. When you shop at participating retailers, you can also earn bonus dollars, which are called “Found Money.” Acorns is a great way to build up your travel fund automatically.
I’ve been using Acorns for years, and I love how easy it is to use. For a limited time, when you sign up at wetravelthere.com/acorns, we’ll both earn $5.
Stay tuned for our next episode
Listen to the next episode when Dr. Jennifer of Sidewalk Safari shares the best things to do in Dublin, Ireland. In this episode, Dr. J and I talk about TradFest which is Ireland’s largest traditional and folk music festival, visiting the Guinness Storehouse to sample some beer, and seeing the 1,000-year-old Book of Kells. We hope you’ll join us when We Travel There.
To learn more about cities within Australia, please listen to our other episodes:
- Fringe Festival, Rottnest Island & Kings Park in Perth, Australia
- Best Things to Do in Melbourne, Australia with Abby Lewtas
- Swimming the Great Barrier Reef in Cairns, Australia with Tyson Franklin
- Best Things to Do in Sydney, Australia with Jennifer McDermott
- Australia Zoo, Coastal Islands & Adventure World in Brisbane, Australia
- Tarra Bulga, Walhalla Gold Town & Morwell River Falls in Latrobe Valley, Australia